Thursday, December 17, 2009

Enjoying one of the most challenging games in life – WORK! (Part 1)

Well, I am sure that most of you will second my opinion on work being one of the most challenging games in life! A great deal of us wend our weary way to office each day with about as much enthusiasm as I used to feel as a kid when approaching the inevitable daily dose of a glass full of milk every night. Let me try and help you with few of my experiences on how to add spice to your life through your work…Remember, “There is a great deal of difference between the eager man who wants to read a book and the tired man who wants to read a book” (G.K. Chesterton).

I strongly believe that familiarity with work breeds happiness. When anyone asks me, “how’s work?”, I simply reply, “Cool”. My listeners usually raise their eyebrows when I claim that “work is the best wonder drug that I can ever think of” (Well, unless, of course, you are happily married). Perhaps they would see my point of view if they felt the thrills themselves and knew the lasting effects that come from being well occupied. Lack of occupancy at work simply leads to unproductive gossip, which further leads to unrest within the gossip circles. In this regard, Mark Twain described the law of work as, “the higher the pay in enjoyment the worker gets out of it, the higher shall be his pay in money also”. It is nothing else, but your insatiable thirst to learn more at work, which will lead you to what a layman calls “job contentment”.

Let me continue with a simple household example. If the lady of the house has had an unpleasant day, it simply reflects in the dinner which she cooks. Alternatively, if she wants to surprise her husband with a candle-light dinner on the terrace, she ends up giving the dinner table the best presentation. Similarly, it is your attitude towards work, which acts like a trigger releasing tremendous spurts of willing effort. In fact, even when I feel low on a certain day, the wonder drug that fills me with 6 bags of energy is nothing but an audience and a microphone…what follows is absolute passion drooling with the audience reciprocating the contagious passion.

Furthermore, you just cannot say to yourself one fine morning, “I am going to enjoy my work” and succeed for life. Success will not be served to you on a silver platter, till you study and discipline yourself to succeed. How well you burnish the art of time management and planning is what will lead you to the next step of mastering work-enjoyment. Believe me, excelling in these skills, will also silken your personal life.

So, welcome to the world of work enjoyment! We will talk more about this in part 2 of this article.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rosy,
    Its me vineet from your last organization. I must you have the art to just charge up anybodies mood with your writings I am sitting so far off I really thankyou from the bottom of my heart for teaching me through these blogs.
    keep writing
    vineet narang

    ReplyDelete